Local community members celebrate health and fitness at ‘Talk & Walk with Tedy Bruschi’ event in Roxbury
In the Community
Talk & Walk with Tedy Bruschi event held at New Academy Estates
Tedy’s Team once again teamed up with the Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.), the American Heart Association, The Dimock Center, and HoodFit to present the third in a series of ‘Talk & Walk with Tedy Bruschi’ events leading up to the 5th Annual Road to Wellness 5K. The July 22nd event, which was held at the New Academy Estates in Roxbury, gave us the opportunity to engage with local community members to raise awareness of stroke and heart disease, while promoting active and healthy lifestyles.
Stroke and heart disease can affect anyone, but certain Boston communities are at a significantly higher risk than others. The Talk & Walks aim to provide community members with education and resources on how to improve their overall health, and to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of stroke and heart attack. During the event, Tedy Bruschi shared his story regarding his TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) on July 4th, and compared the difference between his first stroke in 2005 with his most recent one in 2019. The biggest difference being that this time around, Tedy and his wife, Heidi, immediately recognized the warning signs, and knew exactly what to do.
In addition to Tedy sharing his story, last night’s event featured the following:
- On-site farmer’s market, courtesy of Fresh Truck
- Sugary drinks challenge and infuser water bottle, provided by the American HeartAssociation
- Discussion on healthy lifestyles and accountability, presented by Brandon Ransom, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at Include Innovation
- Healthy cooking demonstration, provided by Chef Anthony Pino, Executive Chef at Cunard Tavern in East Boston
- Interactive Demonstration on effective indoor workouts to do at home, lead by Coach Gael Henville, Head Coach of the Road to Wellness 5K Training Series
More information and resources from the July 22nd Talk & Walk Event:
Recipes from Chef Pino:
The Dimock Center
Walk or Run with us on Saturday, September 7th as we celebrate our 5th Anniversary Road to Wellness 5K and journey towards to health and wellness. Register for FREE today!
Road to Wellness 5K Trainings- We welcome everyone at all fitness levels to attend our FREE weekly Saturday Road to Wellness Trainings. View our full training schedule here. Hope to see you there!